Time for Sunday confessional y’all, even though it’s not Sunday, it’s not a secret, and I’m not Catholic. I got lazy about cooking/eating/serving good meals over the holidays. Now maybe good isn’t the right word… Healthy? Nourishing? Not so packed with butter you’re wondering if you’re lactose intolerant?
I’m not big on resolutions; I just try to be a little better. And I think this salad is a big step in the right direction. I know what I sound like when I make it seem like a salad can change your life, don’t hold that mirror up to me.
What I am saying though is that it is bright and fresh and full of detoxifiers that made me feel less guilty about everything else I put in my body for the day, errr past month…
As always, adjust the amount of toppings, seasonings, dressing you want on your salad to your liking. This is what I put in mine.
- Baby Spinach
- Baby Arugula
- Fresh Mint Leaves, chiffonade
- Grapefruit, sliced
- Red Onion, julienne
- Gala Apple, sliced thin
- Salt and Pepper
- Freshly Grated Ginger (about ¼ inch)
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Grapefruit Juice
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chef Knife
- Cutting Board
- Bowls for toppings
- Large Bowl for greens
- Micro Planer
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- WASH YOUR HANDS.
- Put your greens in a large bowl and set aside while you Mise en Place your other ingredients.
- Make your dressing. There is not an emulsifier in this recipe so before you dress your salad, be sure to give it another good whisking.
- Salt and pepper your greens and then put about ½ of your toppings in the bowl.
- Using your clean hands, toss the salad and mix everything in the bowl well.
- Dress your salad lightly, you don’t need as much dressing as you made. Mix again with your hand to coat all the leaves.
- Plate your salad and garnish with the leftover toppings. Serve and eat immediately.