The Only Salad Your Husband Will Want
It’s carbs. Carbs and oil, of course he is going to want it. This is an easy crowd-pleaser that requires so little work you can drink all of your “cooking” wine while making it and not royally screw it up. It’s got a fun Mediterranean flair to it but you can alter it to your specifications. I’d pair it with grilled chicken or salmon. Check it out below.
- 1 ½ cups Farro
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 Small Red onion, sliced ¼” thick
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup Grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest
- ¼ cup Parsley, minced
- ¼ cup Mint, chiffonade
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ¼ cup Sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup Olive oil
- Preheat grill.
- In a medium saucepot cook farro in boiling seasoned vegetable stock until tender (approx. 20 minutes). Drain and set aside to cool. Reserve cooking liquid.
- Brush onion slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until just tender. Remove from grill and cut into a small uniform dice.
- For the vinaigrette: Whisk together shallot, honey, vinegar and mustard. While vigorously whisking, drizzle in olive oil until emulsion has formed, season with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining salad ingredients to cooled farro, toss to incorporate. Finish with sherry vinaigrette and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon or two of the reserved cooking liquid if salad seems dry.